This program is approved as a vocational program under the Private Career College Act,2005.
With a condensed format of 28 weeks, the Esthetician Ontario College Diploma program prepares you to enter the high-demand wellness industry in less than one year. Learn and apply the latest esthetics trends to promote health and well-being in this growing, dynamic industry. By combining theory and hands-on learning, the Esthetician program teaches you essential skills in skin care, nail care, hair removal, makeup application and body treatments. The skills you gain at Health and Beauty Canadian College open the doors to a variety of wellness careers at:
- day or resort spas
- wellness centres
- beauty institutes
- health clubs
- cruise ships
- cosmetic firms
Specific positions include:
- cosmetician/makeup artist
- nail technician
- beauty consultant
- product representative for manufacturers
- distributor and retailer of esthetic products
You may also choose to pursue self-employment opportunities or small business ownership after completing the program.
COURSE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform a variety of specialized body and skin care treatments following correct procedures and precautions and supporting client needs (including and not limited to facials, manicures, pedicures, hair removal, and makeup applications).
- Use a range of specialized equipment and products, in compliance with established national, provincial, industry, and other related standards, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Apply relevant knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and histology to the provision of specialized esthetic treatments and services.
- Adhere to health, safety, sanitation, and infection and prevention control guidelines, according to current legislation and national, provincial, municipal, and industry standards and legislation.
- Identify business skills and activities required for the successful establishment and operation of a small esthetic business in a salon or spa environment.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships in adherence to standards and ethics associated with the profession.
- Develop customer service strategies that meet and adapt to individual needs and expectations in accordance with professional standards and ethics.
- Determine professional development strategies that lead to the enhancement of work performance and career opportunities, and keep pace with industry change.
This module is the foundation of Esthetics/Medical Esthetics and provides a strong foundation in general sciences. Students will learn about:
- Sanitation and Disinfection.
- Health and Safety.
- Anatomy and Physiology.
- Cosmetic Chemistry.
- The basics of electricity, Galvanic.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the skin sciences.
- The physiology and histology of the skin.
- Skin disorders and diseases.
- Analyze of all skin types.
- Skin care products and ingredients.
- Treatment room set up.
- Facial massage techniques.
- Chemical Peeling.
- Microdermabrasion, Hydro dermabrasion.
- Acne Therapy.
- Different types of facials.
- How to incorporate various types of esthetics machines into facial treatments.
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
Learn and apply the latest esthetics trends to promote health and well-being in this growing, dynamic industry. By combining theory and hands-on learning, the Esthetician program teaches you essential skills in skin care, nail care, hair removal, makeup application and body treatments. An emphasis is also placed on developing customer relations skills to help build a strong and loyal customer base.